Thursday, October 30, 2008

Watermelon is back!

We visited both the ENT and Surgeon for 2 week post op visits yesterday and got good reports from both dr's. Emma has tubes in her ears and all is well with them, we don't have to go back to him for another 6 months. The surgeon for her palate says it is all looking great and she can begin to eat soft foods. The blender can begin to get some rest... this morning Melissa gave Emma watermelon and it went over very well.

It is really interesting the way the palate heals, if you look in there it changes from day to day... one day there is a sort of skin looking stuff on the sides and then next there are "trenches" and the next there is some green looking stuff. Melissa said she does not want to look anymore. Emma was really good with the Dr. and opened her mouth for him and did not seem to have any apprehension about the day at all. If I was in her shoes the moment I saw the hospital complex I would begin to try and get away... speaking of which, Emma showed me a new talent last night. I was taking her to "night night" and she was so displeased with this proposed action she twisted in such a quick interesting way that I almost dropped her. We are used to her being sorta wobbly but this was a very deliberate twister type of action that took me by surprise.

Both Melissa and I could not help but laugh (under our hand) but we looked at each other and were pretty amused by this creativity and strength. She is strong and each day seems to be getting stronger and more comfortable in our family. Melissa also said yesterday that we really needed Emma, our family was getting boring and she has spiced things up. That is the understatement of the year!

I am in Houston today doing some work and we will be traveling to Florida in a couple days for work and to see family and friends. We thank God for the good report from the doctors and thanks to each of you for your support of our baby Emma and our family.

2 comments:

LQ - dude here said...

Fantastic report...thanks for sharing and being diligent in keeping this up to date.

Heather said...

hurray for watermelon! I'm so glad that she is healing so well and fitting in even better;) And I agree, you all needed a little spice!
I hope we get to see you soon!!